Sufferfest Gluten Free Pilsner Cupcake Heaven, taste the goodness
Happy Saturday! Some of you like me probably get up early and pop right in your kitchen to brew a cuppa tea or coffee. Being from the South I sometimes miss the good ole days of biscuits and coffee with my grandparents on the porch.
Now as I sit writing to you this morning, I think how lucky we are to be in an age where when we want to bake, the options we have to bake with are endless, if we are looking for healthy choices. I know this one aspect excites me.
No dissing on my southern roots, just sharing for the past 15 or more years I have fought hard to figure out how to modify the foods of my youth to help myself and my loved ones age healthier and perhaps not become a statistic of heart disease or diabetes.
I am not suggesting we give up what we love, for instance I have added beer to this recipe. Chocolate is an all time favorite of mine, and I use Cacao in so many of my weekly menus . It’s the type of foods and the source of what I use that will make this difference.
This weekend's recipe is a great snack! I love it with coffee as a stand alone treat or we served them the other evening as our after dinner dessert. Get creative! Let me know your feedback Xx
Sweet Potato GF Cacao Cupcakes
Difficulty - intermediate
Makes enough for about 8-12 people (I used the big cupcake parchments)
Preheat to 350
Bake 20 mins - depending on your oven, test with wooden toothpick for accuracy
2 cups of Sweet Potato Flour
1 ¾ cup of GF All Purpose Flour
1 cup of cacao chips - Pasha Organic Chips
1 teaspoon of salt (I used Himalayan)
1 cup of Dark (best grade if possible) Maple Syrup
¼ cup of Honey (I used a local California honey from Eli’s in Malibu)
⅓ cup of Righteous Raw Cacao Spice
½ teaspoon and ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda (Clabber Girl or Rumford)
1 ¾ teaspoon baking powder (Bob’s Red Mill Double Acting GF)
1 tablespoon of organic ground cinnamon
1 ¼ teaspoon nutmeg ground
1 ¼ cup of coconut oil - (I use one for cooking that has a less pungent coco flavor) melt first - do not measure as a solid add at room temp to ingredients
1 cup brown sugar
3 large organic brown eggs and 1 yolk of egg (room temperature is best)
1 tablespoon of orange zest (please wash your organic orange then zest)
1 ¼ cup of Pilsner (I used another CA company - Sufferfest GF Epic Pilsner) -Pour it and let it sit before adding to ingredients
Now for the fun part!
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F and line your muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, Righteous Spice Cacao.
- Prep Electric Mixer and on medium-low speed, beat oil, honey, syrup, brown sugar, whole eggs, yolk, zest and pilsner until completely combined.
- Divide batter evenly in each liner, ¾ of the way is perfect. Sprinkle chips on tops of each cupcake before putting them in the oven. Bake and rotate at halfway mark if you remember! 20 minutes in my oven was perfect, but test with toothpick for accuracy as everyone’s over is a bit different.
- Cool - cupcakes are going to smell yummy! They will be a bit crumbly if you try to eat them warm. Let cool on wire rack.
- Storage - can be stored overnight with a cover at room temperature or frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container.
Pilsner Glaze and Whipped Coconut Cream are two choices and variations I did for this cupcake recipe. They are a work in progress in my “test” kitchen. I will post them up soon. I will add the glaze one now, but with a disclaimer! I feel like it should have something more… so we keep eating and tasting to figure it out. Rough job, but someone has to do it right!
2 cups of confectioners sugar, sifted
¼ cup of Pils - used Sufferfest, pour it and let it settle before mixing
I whisked with my little electric whisk, combined completely and added more orange zest poured over the cupcakes we were going to eat immediately and served with a sprinkle of Navitas Organic PLAIN cacao powder. (ever so slight of dusting) Boom! Yum on a plate - Happy eating everyone.
Are we friends? Are you signed up for my newsletter? Are you following us on Instagram and FB? Receive 10% off your first purchase of any OM Mushroom product of my site by using this code: OMGood